Understanding Organizational Policies and Standards: Interacting with Supervisor
At the end of this post, you will be able to:
- Describe and assess work requirements
- Identify the targets and incentives
- Explain documentation of work on enterprise resource planning (ERP) software
- Resolve personnel issues
- Communicate potential hazards at a particular location
- Deliver work of expected quality despite constraints
As a field technician, one of the major roles and responsibilities is to understand the work requirements. The major roles of a field technician are as follows:
- If there are any issues in the hardware and software, a field technician needs to come -up with solutions as soon as possible to eliminate any bottlenecks in terms of productivity. It is an integral part of maintaining a smoothly running working environment having zero tolerance for even major delays.
- Coordinating with customers, co-workers, subordinates, and superiors is also defined as one of the major roles of a field technician.
- A field technician needs to have a clear picture of the work requirements as it determines the smooth functioning of an organization.
Understand Work Requirements and Targets
The targets and short-term goals set by the organization determine the targets for the personnel. The field technician needs to understand the goals set by the superiors. These may be set with respect to timespan as listed in the following figure:
These goals then further define the targets to be assigned to the team responsible for all hardware-related personnel. The incentive policy should be clear so that the employees can understand it well. It will motivate them to put maximum effort into maintaining the hardware facility of an organization.
Any ambiguity in understanding the work requirements defined by the supervisor results in time delays and confusion. A field technician needs to avoid such instances at all costs. for example, failing to understand the priority of jobs or tasks assigned by the supervisor for the day. Understanding the technical requirement is also equally important. So, while replacing faulty modules, a field technician should check the warranty on the faulty module and also ensure that the other hardware is undamaged.
Documentation of work on enterprise Resource planning (ERP) Software
One of the most important parts of good customer service is maintaining accurate records, which contain details of dealings with the customers. Customer records can help gather information about how best to market a company’s services and also help to ensure that the organization runs smoothly. Most records are stored electronically on a database.
ERP software is used in a company to maintain the records of work performed by the field technician. It is defined as a business management software that consists of integrated applications required to manage the documentation process and control back office-related functions such as human resources and other technologies.
Work ethics mean differentiating between the right and the wrong way of doing a job and adopting the right conduct. They involve certain principles as shown in the following figure :
Resolve Personnel Issues
Resolving personnel issues involves the followings:
- Communicating effectively with the personnel ensures positive feedback in the organization. Two-way communication within and beyond the facility is also advised for a field technician in any organization.
- All conflicts of interest, misunderstanding, and personnel grievances need to be understood and then reported to the higher authority.
- Suggestions on resolving the problems are important as it helps the facility staff to concentrate on the job at hand.
Any personal issue or grievance also needs to be attended to by the field technician himself before pushing the issue through to the supervisors. Managing the personnel is the most important part of team effort towards a unified goal.
Delivery of Work of Expected Quality
Delivery of work as per expected quality should be maintained in the following ways:
- Ensure the work done is as per the guidelines and standards of the company.
- Plan and organize work for the day.
- Follow the plan.
- Inform Supervisor in case of any deviation or emergency.
The following figure highlights the points which help the employers in developing a plan to achieve 100% quality and timely work completion:
Inform Superior about Potential Hazards
Understanding all possible hazards that can happen in a facility is the responsibility of a field technician. One possible cause of hazard could be the lack of clear understanding about the Company’s code of conduct or the reference handbook which puts constraints on the use of equipment for the purpose that is against the code of conduct. A field technician can handle the hazards by following these practices:
- Communicating any such hazard to the supervisor to prevent unaffordable downtimes which could otherwise hamper the critical functioning of the organization.
- Having clear communication with the other staff members and getting in place early warning systems for potential threats in another dimension.
- Making risk assessment is an integral part of a field technician job description. Potential hazards should be assessed with precision and supported with practical evidence.
- Adopting a systematic approach is another dimension of communicating potential hazards.
The following figure shows a systematic approach for handling hazards:
Ravi is new at the workplace and he has to be briefed about the work, line of communication, safety measures to be adopted, and so on. The supervisor has assigned this task to one of Ravi’s colleagues. Perform the role play.
- One participant can act as the supervisor.
- Another participant acts as a colleague, while a third on acts as Ravi.
- The supervisor briefs the field technicians about work and shows the line of hierarchy chart, and tells about safety and tools
- The Supervisor also asks the colleague to provide details about work, safety tools and equipment that will be used, and the work completion report format to be used.